Roseworth Primary School - A Wastewise and Wastwise School
Roseworth PS is committed to maintaining the beautiful environment our students and staff are lucky to enjoy. Our aim is to ensure that we keep our school surroundings litter free and be pro-active in the reduction of landfill. We have adopted the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle theme as a basis for our initiatives across the school. This will benefit the wider community as well as having benefits for the school.
We intend to increase awareness of being Wastewise and Waterwise and promote active participation throughout the school by integrating environmental education into the school curriculum. This will be done in a number of curriculum areas and it is also a focus of the whole school Values Education Plan.
Initiatives that will be undertaken as part of the Wastewise / Waterwise School Plan include:
- Conducting a Waste Audit
- Develop a Wastewise / Waterwise Policy document
- Conduct a Wastewise/Watersise Assembly to raise the awareness of the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle theme
- Roseworth to continue to be a part of the “Adopt a Bushland Program (City of Wanneroo initiative)
- Share Wastewise / Waterwise information at Block Meetings and Staff Meetings to inform colleagues on curriculum links etc
- Establish an area for classes to “Adopt a Garden” where each class (K-6) adopts a garden bed and prepares, plants and cares for the vegetables/flowers and utilises these in cross-curricular activities such as cooking. Investment of a sea container and laying a cement surround to house compost tumblers, garden tools etc and provide an appropriate area to plant seeds etc.
- Establish Worm Farms near the garden area. Recycling food scraps to feed the worms. Worm wee will be utilised in the Garden Program and sold to raise money for our Cambodian Sister School
- Assist in the promotion of Recycling Ring Pulls (Recycled to make wheelchairs by the Lions group)
- Establish a Paper Recycling Program. Blue bins in each Block, Admin etc
- Continue to operate the recycling of Ink Cartridges and Batteries. Storage boxes are kept in the Admin area.
- Investigate initiatives re conserving water within the school. Student monitors for taps etc
- Continue to promote the recycling of boxes, plastic bottles, straws etc for use in the Art Room and/or Science Room